Wednesday 3 June 2009

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

I've become determined to not let my lack of garden stop me successfully nurturing plants in the flat.

A while ago I went to visit some friends of mine that are remarkably self-sufficient when it comes to growing their greens. Their garden is full of potatoes and tomatoes and strawberries and aubergines and broccoli and a very impressive herb garden. Every time I see them I come away with something, despite my protestations that I'm not going to be able to keep them alive.

They gave me a basil plant and a courgette plant last year that lasted about, oooh, 2 weeks I think.

This time I wasn't allowed to leave without a chilli plant. I did point out that I don't have a garden and hence no means of pollination but this left them undeterred. I left with strict assurances that I wouldn't kill it and that I'd be able to do a bit of self-pollination to make sure it produces the goods.

I've had plenty of flowers and have tried my hardest but so far with no luck. However, yesterday I spotted a little delight - I think I got one!! I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that I actually manage to produce a chilli. I'll keep you updated on his progress.
I'm also loving this plant that a friend gave me as a housewarming gift. Except I don't know what he is - can anyone tell me?! He's been brilliant (I don't know why but most of my plants are male - Charlie the Chilli, Bertie Basil....you get my drift) and has produced a steady flow of purpley flowers. I thought his flowering season had come to an end and then I woke up to this bright pink dazzler - I can't believe how beautiful it is and there are lots of promising buds hanging about which I'm hoping are going to produce the same colour flowers.





Yeah who needs a garden?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your bottom plant looks a bit like a type of Busy Lizzie to me. Are the stems thick-ish and 'juicy' with little segments?