Thursday 9 July 2009

Raspberry and Orange Muffins

When Mum went away at the weekend to my sisters she came back with the biggest punnet of raspberries I've ever seen that she picked herself.

I've never seen so many and had no idea what on earth to do with them so a quick search on Google (what did we do before the internet?!) found these muffins which looked fairly easy to get to grips with.

I decided to cheer myself up on Tuesday night and make them to distract myself from the then missing Fred.

They were really easy to make although didn't rise very much which I think was because I went a little mad with the beaters and over-mixed the batter. They taste wonderful though, the raspberries give them a little tang which makes them great as a breakfast muffin. Or an elevenses muffin. Or an afternoon muffin...

RASPBERRY & ORANGE MUFFINS

Ingredients (makes about 16 small muffins)
200g self-raising flour
2tsp baking powder
200g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
3 tbsp milk
Zest of 1 orange
150g lightly crushed raspberries

Method
Preheat the oven to 180c

Stick everything but the raspberries in a bowl and mix up together.

Fold in the crushed raspberries.

Stick in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.

What could be simpler?!

The only downside is that I've made way too many. I could have done with halving the ingredients really so I'm currently trying to palm off muffins on everyone I meet.

Now. Just need to find something to do with the rest of the raspberries...

5 comments:

The Curious Cat said...

Yum Scrum! Poor kitty though... we once had a cat called Pussy, he disappeared for a while and we heard strange cries in the night. We thought he was a girl so we were worried he'd been uh...sexually harrassed...he certainly came home very quiet and subdued like he had been...but then we discovered she was a he so I'm not sure what went on...maybe it is a special kitty ritual where a kitty goes from being a kitten to a cat...maybe they have to undergo a test of survival or initiation... yeah I'm spouting a load of nonsense! Better quit whilst I'm ahead...I'm sure he'll be okay though...probably just had a bit of a shock...

Maria♥ said...

Great news that Fred is back!! I know how worried you must have been, I'd have been a wreck.

These muffins look amazing and the perfect summer brekkie!

Maria
x

♥Rosie♥ said...

I'm SO pleased to read Fred is back home, it must have felt like being in a nightmare!!

L-O-V-E your muffins I like fruit in bakes!! Hey made too many muffins *wink* *wink* want to pass one over *giggle*...

The Curious Cat said...

I know what you mean about coffee -had too much the other day and I had the shakes! I had the coffee at like 9am and it didn't go until about 7pm -I felt really strange - like I'd poisoned myself! Wasn't a nice feeling...however, saying that, I recommend a shot of expresso at midnight if you are going all night partying! Keeps you up and is probably better for you than red bull...maybe?! :?

Unknown said...

OK lets get one thing straight. You said you made too many. There is no such thing as too many muffins, or cookies, or brownies. Only, too many for right NOW. Time release muffins. You share, you eat, you put away, you eat some more. I have never thrown out something I baked (well mainly cuz I don't bake) I just ate it later. Yay foods.